If someone damaged my car while parked in my driveway, what do I need to do to file a report?

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone damaged my car while parked in my driveway, what do I need to do to file a report?

Asked on July 8, 2012 under Accident Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

To file a police report or an insurance claim, you just need your own testimony as to what happened, plus the testimony of anyone else who can shed light on the matter, such as a spouse or other live-in family member or neighbor. If someone or someones can testify that 1) the car was parked in your driveway, 2) it was not damaged when you parked it, and 3) you found it damaged later, for example, that's enough for a police report or claim against your own collision insurance. Photos, especially date stamped ones, can help.

However, to try to sue someone for the damage, you would need to know (or at least have some idea of) who caused the damage. Filing a police report, however, may help you get that--the police may locate the person for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption