If someone allegedly commits a crime on their cell phone but which is in my name, can I be held liable?

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone allegedly commits a crime on their cell phone but which is in my name, can I be held liable?

I share cell phone bills with some of my friends and one of them may be under trial soon for charges that I’m not at liberty to discuss. If he is found guilty and the cell phone was used as documentary evidence, can I be held liable for any thing found on that phone since I’m the primary account holder even though I was unaware of his activities?

Asked on August 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The cell phone and its contents may be used as evidence, but that does not mean that you can be charged with any criminal activity simply because the phone is under your name. Unless you in some way conspired with your friend to commit this alleged crime, then you should have nothing to worry about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption