If someone accuses me of harrasement at school untruthfully and without proof, what are my rights?

UPDATED: May 13, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 13, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If someone accuses me of harrasement at school untruthfully and without proof, what are my rights?

Asked on May 13, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


Robert Pellinen / Law Offices of Robert Pellinen

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Legally, if someone accuses you of "harassment" unless they go to court and get a restraining order or a temporary restraining order (TRO) there is nothing they can do. But in order to get an order from the court, person must declare "under penalty of perjury" all of the elements of "harassment" in order to get the order. Of course, you have a right to deny the charges after the TRO is issued and the court will set a date for you to appear.

 You have other rights such as a lawsuit for libel or slander.  If the untruthful allegations are written it is libel, but if the person is only making the accusation verbally, it is slander. 

But since you're in California there should be no filing fee for requesting a restraining order to stop the person from scandalizing your good name.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption