If police find drugs in a home that you don’t live in nor were you present when they found them, can they charge you with possession?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If police find drugs in a home that you don’t live in nor were you present when they found them, can they charge you with possession?

Police raided my mother’s home which I do not live in for someone else. Upon their search they found an undisclosed amount of marijuana. They are saying in a closet which contained some of my belongings. However, I was not there nor do I live there. Can they charge me with


Asked on March 28, 2016 under Criminal Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can: charging you requires just "probable cause" to think that the drugs were yours, and finding them in a closet with your belongings would likely be sufficient. It may not be enough to convict you, since that requires proof "beyond a reasonable doubt," and the drugs could certainly be your mother's which she happened to put in that closet (thus creating reasonable doubt); of course, if you successfully defend yourself, the authorities may then look to charge and convict your mother, since the drugs must have belonged to someone and, it being her home, she is a likely suspect.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption