If our Board wants to update our covenants would we need the vote of the homeowners?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If our Board wants to update our covenants would we need the vote of the homeowners?

Asked on August 21, 2011 Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read the recorded "covenants, conditions and restrictions" recorded upon all properties subject to the planned unit development where your property is located in that its terms will state what is required to change and amend the existing "covenants, conditions and restrictions" that the board of directors want updated.

Most likely, from "covenants, condiitons and restrictions" I have read concerning other homeowner's associations, there will be a required vote of all existing property owners in the planned unit development for any update and most likely there will be a two-third's approval.

Prior to any vote, notice will be required to be sent to all property owners as well.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption