If one of the owners of a family vacation home decides to not continue with ownership, how do you handle it?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If one of the owners of a family vacation home decides to not continue with ownership, how do you handle it?

There are 3 owners of older and are planning for the next generation to take over this home. How do we fairly handle the potential of one wanting to sellout?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to preserve the continued use of the vacation home by all families that wish to own the unit is for a written option to buy or right of first refusal agreement be drafted by a real estate attorney and signed by all owners including the one that wishes to sell his or her interests in the unit. Once signed, a memorandum of the document signed is to be recorded on the property.

The above suggestion prevents the need for having the home placed on the market and allows members of the remaining families who want to continue owning the vacation home.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption