If one of my competitors let’s their domain name expire, can I purchase it and have it forward to my businesses website?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If one of my competitors let’s their domain name expire, can I purchase it and have it forward to my businesses website?

One of my competitors web domain is due to expire in less than 2 weeks. I’m sure that they just haven’t been paying attention but if they don’t renew it in time, can I legally purchase the domain name myself and have the domain forward to my site?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Business Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If one of your competitiors allows its domain name to expire where ownership of the name no longer belongs to anyone, then you can make an attempt to purchase the name and have either yourself or your entity own it as an asset. If you pay the necessary money for the name and its ownership is then transferred to you by the entity that is in charge of registration of domain names, you can do whatever you wish to do with it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption