If you areon disability, canyour ex-spouse be granted spousal support?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If you areon disability, canyour ex-spouse be granted spousal support?

Asked on July 29, 2011 Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are on disability where you monthly income has been dramatically reduced and there is in effect a monthly spousal support order, you will need to file a petition with the court to have the monthly amount reduced due to the changed circumstances in your income.

If there is no existing order for spousal support and your former spouse wants support, he or she can file a petition for such. The court then reviews the petition and any responses as well as monthly income statements and makes a ruling. Monthly support orders for children and former spouses are based upon their need and the ability of the person sought to make the payment to pay.

If your income is solely disability on a monthly basis, the changes of having to pay spousal support seems remote.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption