If my wife forwards all her mail fromour home to a PO Box, does she still have the right to live in the house?

UPDATED: Sep 25, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 25, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife forwards all her mail fromour home to a PO Box, does she still have the right to live in the house?

The house is in my wife’s name. I would like her to leave because she has created a stressful environment creating mental abuse. Can I get her to leave the home?

Asked on September 25, 2010 under Family Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Unless the divorce has been finalized or you have gone to court and temporary orders have been issued giving your the right to the house, there really isn't anything that you can do.  At this point, she house is still considered to be the joint marital residence (this is true even if she should she moves her personal belongings out).  Right now you should speak with a divorce attorney in your area directly.  Once temporary orders are issued, things will be different.  And whatever you do, do not be tempted to use a little self-help such as putting her things out in the street or even into storage.  There could be both criminal and civil penalties if you do.

Note:  If she puts you in fear for your personal physical safety, then you may be able to apply for a protective order which would result in her removal from the premises. However, "a stressful enviornment creating mental abuse" would probably not qualify. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption