If my partner is still married but names me as beneficiary in his Will, will his wife get anything?

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my partner is still married but names me as beneficiary in his Will, will his wife get anything?

We have been together for 10 years’ he has not lived with his wife for 20 years.

Asked on October 30, 2011 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is always a good idea to plan ahead in all types of situations.  Your question raises any issues.  And with out knowing more about the financial situation specifically, I can tell you that generally, wives have what is known as a right of election against a Will of their spouse, meaning that they can not in most states (all I think except one) be disinherited by their spouse. They can "elect" against a Will for a percentage of the estate.  Now, he can indeed provide for her under the Will by giving her an amount equal to what the law permits her to elect (in some states it is a third of the estate) to avoid an upset.  He should go and see an estate planner as soon as he can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption