If my parents are withholding rightfully earned money, can I get it back?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my parents are withholding rightfully earned money, can I get it back?

I entered my father’s household due to his wishes and my needs. Under the verbal agreement of $100 a week I was allowed to stay. While I wasn’t able to pay more than 50% of the time, they withheld the $100 not for rent but as a savings account for my new living situation after the 10 months were up. After I moved out, 3 days before I was due to move into my new aprtment, he informed me that the terms of me getting the cash for my apartment were no longer void. To top it all off, he decided to bad mouth me to the extent his son sought out employee’s of my workplace to tell them I was a “bad person”.

Asked on June 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you had a verbal agreement with your parents where you had $100 per week withheld by them for ten (10) months where you were to receive such from them when you moved out, you are legally entitled to this money since you have moved out under the law. The issue is do you want to file a small claims court action against them seeking such?

The reason I write this is that you might end up making a bad situation with your parents worse. I suggest that you have a face to face meeting with them in a couple weeks, preferably at a dinner that you cook for them and bring up the subject of the forced savings plan they implemented for you and see what the result is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption