If my paid time off considered

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 15, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my paid time off considered

My contract says that,

Asked on March 15, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is the normal and accepted practice. You get 21 days per year ("annually"). That does not mean you get all 21 on January 1st, the same way that if you are salaried, not hourly, you don't get your entire salary in one lump sum on January 1st. Instead, they are accrued or earned over time at a rate determined by dividing the number of days of vacation by the number of months and earning that many per month of service (accruing per week or even day is also acceptable, in which case you might only earn hours per interval). As for why this the norm, consider: if you got all your days at once, you could work January 1, take vacation January 2 - January 23, then quit on Jan. 4, been paid for 23 days while only working 1. Clearly, that is an unreasonable and absurb situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption