If my mother left my brother as her executor, can he lock the rest of us out of the house and tell us we cannot enter?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother left my brother as her executor, can he lock the rest of us out of the house and tell us we cannot enter?

Can he make us pay for the furnishings that she left? Where can we find information on our rights?

Asked on June 27, 2014 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for the situation. The Executor is generally given great authority to protect the assets of the estate but he or she MUST follow the terms of the Will and the wishes of the decedent (your Mom).  You have to get a copy of the Will before it is offered for Probate.  It sounds as if your brother is over reaching his powers and that maybe the rest of you need to seek help from an attorney on the next step here, either removing him (can get expensive) or negotiating with him.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption