If my mother left her property in a Will to me, if I got married later and then died, would my husband be entitled to my part of her property?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother left her property in a Will to me, if I got married later and then died, would my husband be entitled to my part of her property?

if my mother left her property to me and my sister.

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Estate Planning, Missouri


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It would depend on your will and your mother's will.  Most wills have a provision that estate will pass to "x" and if they predeceased me then to the heirs of "x".  If your mom had this type of provision and you died first and left a will designating him as your only heir-- then yes, he would get part of her property.  If you did not leave a will and you were still married at the time of your death, then probate laws would still consider him an heir and he would receive at least some of the estate.

If your mother's will read something like to each child fifty-fifty, but if one had predeceased, then the balance would go be dividing among the other children, then your sister, not your husband would inherit.

If you want to make sure that you sister obtains whatever you do not, then you need to write a will designating that this gift from you mother be assigned to her-- or have you mom change her will reflecting the same. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption