If my mother is incapacitated, is my brother’s general power of attorney still valid?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mother is incapacitated, is my brother’s general power of attorney still valid?

My mother has two homes, both in New Jersey. One is left in a will to me, the other to my brother where he now lives. My mother is in a nursing care facility specializing in dementia and she is now incapacitated. My brother has general power of attorney. Does my brother have the legal right to sell the home left to me to cover nursing home expenses?

Asked on April 27, 2019 under Estate Planning, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) If it was a "durable" power of attorney--one that by its very terms remained in effect even if your mother became incapacitated (it will say so if it is, right in the POA)--then it will remain valid. The point of a durable POA is to give someone else authority to act when the principal (person granting the POA) cannot act for herself.
2) Yes, as the agent or attorney-in-fact (those are the terms for the person given power by the POA) he will have the authority to sell the home left to you for nursing home expenses. His obligation is to act in her interests--so paying her expenses--not those of any heirs. The will has no power until your mother passes away, so it does not control what happens to the home until then: any person with power over it while your mother is alive, whether herself or her attorney-in-fact, may choose to sell the home at any time, for any reason. Just as she could sell it, so you'd never inherit it, so could he.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption