Ifmy manager approved me to work, can the owner refuse to pay me because he did not approve it himself?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ifmy manager approved me to work, can the owner refuse to pay me because he did not approve it himself?

I worked 16 hours that my owner refuses to pay me for claiming that he did not aprove the ours. Never before did I need the owner’s approval.

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The only situation under which an employer could possibly lawfully do this would be if you had notice in advance that work or hours had to be approved by the owner before you could do the work. With prior notice, the owner may be able to refuse to pay if you had not obtained that notice; without prior notice, you must be paid--though if you do not have an employment contract, the owner is free to fire you if (s)he wants, since without a contract, you are an "employee at will."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption