If my landlord lowers my rent, can he still charge me late fees on the old rental amount?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord lowers my rent, can he still charge me late fees on the old rental amount?

About 5 months ago my landlord lowered my rent to $500 because his property is in foreclosure. The previous rental amount was $900. My landlord is charging me late fees based on the old rental amount. The current rental amount is also listed on the MLS paperwork. Is it legal for him to charge late fees based on the old rate?

Asked on April 5, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, and what your landlord is doing is fraudulent. This is an issue that will not only impact you but his foreclosure status. Sounds like he is also setting up to file bankruptcy. At this point, contact the lender (very easy to find through the registry of deeds if possible) and indicate that you are being charged late fees for a changed tenancy term and provide the tenancy term. Also file a complaint with the consumer protection agency who handles your landlord tenant matters and disputes and provide the documentation showing the tenancy monetary fee had changed but your landlord is still charging late rent on the old amount. Print a copy of the MLS paperwork. You may wind up having to sue him if this issue is not resolved by one of the two options below.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption