If my landlord fails to provide a livable facility, can I break my lease early without penalty?

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 27, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my landlord fails to provide a livable facility, can I break my lease early without penalty?

I have a 15 month lease and have lived there for only 6. My toilet has been flooding for the last 3 months. I have had maintenance come and fix it on several occasions. My apartment is now flooded with sewage and is uninhabitable. They have records of the maintenance requests that I have made over the last 3 months. Problem still persists. I know that NV law says that I can break my lease if after 14 days of requesting the fix, the landlords has attempted to the best of their ability to solve the problem but it still exists. Can I move without payment of rent and penalty fee?

Asked on October 27, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek help from an attorney in your area.  There is under the law what is known as a warranty of habitability.  That means that means various things under the law but it appears that your apartment is "uninhabitable."   That would make the lease voidable but not necessarily void.  If there were no services - like working toilets - then it also means that you could be seen as "constructively evicted" from your apartment as well.  You seem to be aware of the law in your state but most Judges do not like "self-help" and it is not in your best interest to just leave.  I would start an action in court and pay your rent in to court until the matter is decided.  Ask that the court void the lease.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption