If my husband’s parents have a life insurance policy on him and he want to change his beneficiary can he?

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband’s parents have a life insurance policy on him and he want to change his beneficiary can he?

They got it when he was a child and they were going to turn it over to me (his wife) and our kids if anything should happen to him. Now there is a problem in the family and personally I don’t trust any of them to do what they said.

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Insurance Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The owner typically has the right to change the beneficiary.  The beneficiary themselves do not.

Is it feasible for your husband to just sit down and talk to them about this?  Out of the two of you, as their son he's probably the one who should deal with his parents directly.  Hopefully they will want to do the right thing for their grandchildren. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption