If my husband files for divorce but leaves the state and disappears, what do I do next?

UPDATED: Apr 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband files for divorce but leaves the state and disappears, what do I do next?

My husband has just filed for a divorce a few days ago. His settlement is so vague, that I can’t believe anyone typed it up. Since then he has threatened to just leave and abandon our bills and health insurance, and not come back. What should I do if he just bails? What about his filing? I haven’t filed a response because he said he would unfile so we could make an agreement then refile so it would be uncontested and go through smoothly.

Asked on April 30, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


Madan Ahluwalia / Ahluwalia Law P. C.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Did your husband have someone serve you with divorce papers?  If he filed for divorce, and did not affect service on you properly, then you do not have to respond to his divorce petition.  If you were served, then you should file your answer/response to the Petition.  Check the summons, usually your response is due 30 days after service.  If you both can come up with a marital settlement agreement and have it filed before your answer is due, great!  But if he is unstable, then be fully prepared to file your answer as a backup. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption