If my husband and I have no assets together, should I get a lawyer for our divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I have no assets together, should I get a lawyer for our divorce?

We do have a child together, but I fear that if he
gets any type of custody of her something bad
could happen. He is an alcoholic and drinks on
a daily basis. He is verbally abusive to me and
sometimes our daughter. I have no family
where we live and want to move back to my
home state. Please offer any advice

Asked on April 3, 2016 under Business Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can buy out her share of or interest in the LLC: that, plus her resigning from any positions (e.g. manager) with the company, will remove her fully from the LLC. You can buy her out under any terms you and she find mutually agreeable--i.e. any amount you both agree on, paid out over period of time or in any way you agree to. Put the agreement in writing, then amend your filing with the state (your registration) once she's no longer an owner or member.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption