If my husband and I are separated and I have a couple of his checks, am I allowed to use them if we don’t have joint accounts?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband and I are separated and I have a couple of his checks, am I allowed to use them if we don’t have joint accounts?

He also overdrafted on my personal checking account paying his bills. My info was saved in his laptop, I’m not able to erase it

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Family Law, Ohio


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If this is a personal checking account, you need to get this accounting done through divorce court. Do not misappropriate his checks because you are currently separated. Get him to pay you back and also file a complaint with the banking institution regarding unauthorized activity on your account. Hopefully this will be helpful. Otherwise, you will need to get together all the records showing what is owed to you and make a motion for reimbursement through divorce court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption