If my HOA starts exterior construction that causes interior damages, do I have grounds to sue?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my HOA starts exterior construction that causes interior damages, do I have grounds to sue?

I own my condo and the HOA has started construction to the patio area connected to my unit. The workers

have now damaged put holes in my bedroom wall that connects to the patio.

Asked on February 12, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you do have grounds to sue: anyone who negligently or carelessly damages your property is liable for the damage, and while you should, if they intend to set things right, give them a reasonable time to correct or fix the damage, a year is not reasonable--you are not required to wait that long. 
If the workers are actual employees of the HOA, you'd sue the HOA. If it was an outside contractor they brought in, you'd sue the contractor. You can sue for the cost to repair, so small claims court is likely the best bet.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption