If my girlfriend co-signs my car loan, could it get brought up in her divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my girlfriend co-signs my car loan, could it get brought up in her divorce?

I am moving and need a car. My girlfriend is about to divorce her husband. If she cosigned a loan on a car with me could it come up in the divorce court

Asked on February 27, 2017 under Family Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Of course: it is a debt or obligation of hers, and therefore will affect her financial status and hence need for support and/or ability to pay any amounts owed by the couple--any debts or obligations of a spouse are legitimate issues during a divorce proceeding. And if this was not a "no fault" divorce but was over infidelity or unfaithfulness, the fact that she signed a loan for you can be evidence suggesting that she was having an affair with you during the marriage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption