If my friend was responsible for watching my purseand it was stolen because she forgot, does she owe me the cash lost?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my friend was responsible for watching my purseand it was stolen because she forgot, does she owe me the cash lost?

A friend was asked to watch my purse while I was performing on an outdoor stage and she was side-tracked and had left it on a wall in a very populated city. She had forgot about it for over 45 minutes. When she realized that she had left it on the wall my purse had already been stolen. We were able to track down the guy that stole my purse down but he got away with the $170 in cash from my wallet. Is my friend responsible for paying me back? What if she refuses? What legal actions can I take?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Hawaii


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If your friend undertook the responsibility of watching your purse while you were performing on an outdoor stage and she was was careless in watching it where the purse was stolen and its contents taken including the $170.00, she would be responsible for repaying you the money taken assuming you can prove:

1. that there was $170.00 in the purse;

2. she agreed to watch the purse for you;

3. she was careless in watching the purse for you resulting in its theft.

If she refuses to pay you the money, your recourse would be small claims court.

Query: Would you want to run the risk of losing a friendship over the $170.00 by filing a small claims action against your friend?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption