if my father died and my house is in his name still but he gave me the house how do i transfer the deed to my name

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

if my father died and my house is in his name still but he gave me the house how do i transfer the deed to my name

my father passed a few years ago but before he died he gave me the house i live in now. the property taxes are about 4years behind and im about to lose my house. how can i transfer the deed to my name.

Asked on August 9, 2017 under Estate Planning, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the house was never put in your name (the deed was not placed in your name), your father never actually gave the house to you: he may have intended to or wanted to, but he did not. Now that he passed, his wishes, unless they are expressed in a valid written will are irrelevant. If you are inheriting the house under a will, or are his only living child (and there is no living spouse) so you will inherit the house through "intestate succession" (the rules who gets what when there is no will), you would ultimately inherit, but only *after* the home goes through probate. In the meantime, you'd need be appointed the executor (if named executor by a will) or the administrator/personal executor (if no will) by the court, to have the legal authority to do things relating to the house (and the rest of your father's "estate," or what he left behind). You can contract the probate court to get information about this.
Also, regardless of who owns the home, if the property taxes have not been paid, it can be foreclosed upon--there is no defense to nonpayment of property taxes other than paying them. So if you can pay the taxes, either all at once or at least in a reasonable time, contact the tax authorites to try to make arrangements to do so; if you can't, they will take the home.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption