If my father decides to stop paying alimony, how is my mother supposed to pay her bills?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father decides to stop paying alimony, how is my mother supposed to pay her bills?

Before the divorce, the deal was my mom would go to college to get a degree in health administration, then she would support the family so my father could retire. He suddenly decided he didn’t like that and left us for 2 weeks. A divorce was filed and now he decided he doesn’t feel like paying alimony and the court date for the divorce isn’t for anothr 3 or so months. My mom has no source of income due to the agreement they made and is carrying college loan debt as well. Since it takes several months to a year for a court hearing to process, how is my mother supposed to last that long with her bills?

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Family Law, Ohio


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your mom has to find a job to support herself. Second, since your father and mother are still married, techinically, she needs to file a motion in court to have him pay for the family expenses. He has an obligation to support.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption