If my ex-husband is selling the car that we split payments on per our divorce decree, am I still liable for my half of the payment?

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-husband is selling the car that we split payments on per our divorce decree, am I still liable for my half of the payment?

In our divorce decree, the car is listed as his sole and separate property but in our community debts it lists that we are to split the vehicle payment in half. He is some what selling the car to another individual and I want to know if I’m still responsible for my half of the payment?

Asked on March 14, 2012 under Family Law, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

So if it is his sole property then he has a right to sell it.  But if you still owe half of the payments you are going to have to pay off your share regardless if the sale covers the entire loan amount?  That does not seem right here.  If he sells it then he has to pay off the loan in full because the agreement will call for it I am sure.  Someone needs to read your agreement here and tell you what your options are under your state law.  And hurry.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption