If my ex-boyfriend refuses to give me a piece of mail containing my paycheck that was accidently mailed there, can I call the police?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-boyfriend refuses to give me a piece of mail containing my paycheck that was accidently mailed there, can I call the police?

I have asked him to give it back; he says that he won’t unless I pay him a very large amount of money that he believes I owe him. I don’t owe him any money. I am supposed to meet him tonight to get to “exchange” my mail for the money. There is absolutely no way to talk him out of it or rationalize with him. He will stick to his guns with complete confidence that I will give in to him. He is extremely controlling, that’s why he is my ex-boyfriend.

Asked on June 30, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Definitely call the police. There is a word for what your ex-boyfriend is doing, threatening to withhold your property unless you pay him something to which he is not entitled--extortion. It is a crime; a serious crime, in fact.

Also, you tell your company that your mail was seized by someone and ask them to cancel or stop pay that check and issue you a new one.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption