If my employer released my social security number to the rest of the company can I sue them if they did nothing about it?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my employer released my social security number to the rest of the company can I sue them if they did nothing about it?

In a work email a Human Resources Manager released a power point that contained 12 peoples names and social security numbers to over 100 people in the company. The company isnt doing much about it. They sent an apology email and told others to delete it but that is it. No identity protection no link to find help nothing. Is there something I can do?

Asked on March 18, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't sue them until and unless you suffer some harm which can be provably traced to the release of the information--like identity theft by another employee or some family member/friend of an employee, who took out loans, incurred charges or obligations, etc. in your name. Until something actually occurs, any harm is only theoretical or hypotethetical; however, the law does not provide compensation for theoretical harm, only for actual harm or loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption