If my Chapter 7 was discharged 1 1/2 years ago and my husband dies, am I allowed to receive his life insurance?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my Chapter 7 was discharged 1 1/2 years ago and my husband dies, am I allowed to receive his life insurance?

The amount is $25,000. What should be done with the money? I would need it to bury him.

Asked on January 19, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


David Weinstein

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Yes. This far away from your discharge there should be no controls at all regarding your assets. Generally, each case has a "snapshot when you file. After-aquired assetts or debts are not affected. Sorry for your loss, but at least you have some money to sustain you. Don't let the funeral director convince you to spend it all on the funeral. I'm sure your husband would rather have a smaller ceremony then see you do without.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption