If my car was stolen from my home, canI go through my homeowners insurance?

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my car was stolen from my home, canI go through my homeowners insurance?

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Insurance Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your auto insurance policy should cover the theft of your car under the comprehensive provision of the policy.

As for your homeowner's insurance, you have a good argument that the homeowner's insurance may be applicable since it protects your property and your car was stolen from your home.  I would have to see the homeowner's insurance policy to see if there are any exclusions for your car.

Insurance policies are narrowly construed by the insurance company and are subject to various exclusions stated in the policy.  If the homeowner's insurance policy does not exclude the automobile, then since the theft occurred on your property, the policy should be applicable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption