What are my options for insuring that my child’s needs are met while he is still a minor?

UPDATED: Nov 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options for insuring that my child’s needs are met while he is still a minor?

If my boyfriend wants to leave our son a lump inheritance available when he turns 25. However, he’s leaveing no money for the care of our son until he turns 18 years of age. Additionally, my boyfriend has never paid any support for our son.

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Estate Planning, Rhode Island


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to provide for a minor is to set up a trust for his or her benefit with a trustee that you feel confident that will take care of the child's needs as a minor. The suggested trust document can also set up a guardianship for the minor as well.

I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney about your question for further detailed answers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption