If my 21 year old son who lives at home drops his auto insurance and causes an accident or property damage, can I be held liable?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 21 year old son who lives at home drops his auto insurance and causes an accident or property damage, can I be held liable?

For example, if my son hits another person’s car when driving without any insurance and he does not have the money to pay for the other person’s damages and or medical expenses, if an injury was caused. Can that person then sue me because my son lives at home with us?

Asked on December 6, 2016 under Accident Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

They cannot sue you if he was driving *his own* car: the fact that a person, even an adult child, lives with you does not make you liable for his actions. But if he was driving your vehicle, then if he was at fault in causing the accident, you could be sued: the owner of a vehicle is liable for the damage or injuries caused by those whom he or she allows to drive his or her vehicle(s).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption