If my 18 year old child lives at home and is going to college, can I get child support for him?

UPDATED: Nov 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 18 year old child lives at home and is going to college, can I get child support for him?

Asked on November 14, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Here is the law for Colorado:

Support terminates automatically under Colorado law (C.R.S. 14-10-115(13)(a)), without the need to file a motion to terminate support, upon the last or only child reaching 19 years of age, unless:

  1. The parties signed an agreement after July 1, 1997 which provided for support to continue longer.
  2. The child is mentally or physically disabled.
  3. The child is in high school, or an equivalent program, in which case support continues until the end of the month following graduation..
  4. The child marries before turning 19 (support may be reinstated if the marriage ends while under 19).
  5. The child enters active duty military before turning 19.

So I think that the answer is yes unless your agreement states otherwise.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption