If my 12 year old daughter assaults her mom, can I have her arrested?

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 12 year old daughter assaults her mom, can I have her arrested?

My 12 year old daughter has committed battery on her mom 3 times. Can I press charges on her and have her sent to Juvenile Detention?

Asked on August 15, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can indeed press charges because even at the age of twelve, while still a minor, she is legally culpable for her actions. Typically what will happen is that the police will detain her in juvenile detention pending a detention hearing to determine if she will be kept in detention. A single charge of battery however may not be sufficient enough for the court to sentence her to detention. You may want to contact your local prosecutor for more advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption