If me being executive of an estate

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If me being executive of an estate

I have been paying the mortgage on one
of the house’s since 10/2015 by myself
and there are 9 heirs are they supposed
to help me with the payments? If they
supposed to help and they don’t can I
file a claim for the monies I paid on
there behalf.

Asked on October 25, 2018 under Estate Planning, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The ESTATE (the money, etc. left behind by the deceased) can be used or tapped to pay estate expenses, like the mortgage on real estate, so as executor, if there are any savings assets, etc. in the estate, you can spend them on the mortgage and/or reimburse yourself for amounts you paid on the mortgage. But you can't make the heirs pay unless they entered into a written agreement to do so. Heirs are not liable or responsible for estate expenses or obligations without their agreement. Note also that YOU were not required to pay the mortgage or other expenses out of your own pocket; an executor has no responsibility to spend his or her own money. In the law's eyes, you voluntarily chose to pay the mortgage, etc. and your voluntary choice does not create an obligation on the heirs' part to help out or reimburse you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption