If it states in a divorce decree that my boyfriend needs to pay his ex alimony without revision, can he modify it or no?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If it states in a divorce decree that my boyfriend needs to pay his ex alimony without revision, can he modify it or no?

His ex was working a part-time minimum wage job at the time of divorce but apparently was told by her lawyer to not mention the new full-time job she would be getting paying almost double. She banked the alimony, cheated the state out of food stamps, and even purchased a house recently. She is now tempting her son to live with her by telling him she’ll drive him across town to school every day. This will leave by boyfriend without any parenting time after fighting so hard for it. Unfortunately for the ex, she confessed her secrets to a friend that would confide in my boyfriend.

Asked on November 9, 2012 under Family Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to answer your question is to carefully read the marital dissolution agreement between your boyfriend and his "ex" in that the document sets forth the legal obligations between the two. As to the order not being able to be revised, under the laws of all states an order concerning alimony can be modified depending upon change of circumstances between the parties.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption