If it has been more then 10 years since my last DWI, what happens?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If it has been more then 10 years since my last DWI, what happens?

I have heard that after 10 years of my last DWI, all I have to do to get my license back is to pay my reinstatement fee and take my driving test. I would like to know if this is true or what do I need to do?

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Since you have been charged with a second DUI, most likely if convicted you will have to pay a fine of $2,000 or so, have your license suspended for 6 months with a possibility of an allowance to and from work, be required to attend classes concerning the dangers of driving and drinking alcohol/controlled substances, and may have to spend some time in jail. Community service work may also be required.

I recommend that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption