If I write my ex-wife about concerns I have for my children while in her care is that harrasment?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I write my ex-wife about concerns I have for my children while in her care is that harrasment?

I have wrote my ex-wife a number of times with concerns I have for the children but I feel as she ignores them. Should I keep writing her with the hopes my point will get through to her?

Asked on August 5, 2011 Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

People--even ex-spouses, or the other parent of one's children--are not obligated to reply to someone; people may ignore communications they don't wish to respond to.

If you feel that your children are in danger, are not being cared for properly, etc., there are things you can do--you could, for example, get a lawyer and go to court, to try to have custody arrangements changed. If the you believe the situation is urgent enough (e.g. life, health, etc. in danger), you could contact the government authorities which protect children and look into complaints of abuse. (Here in NJ, it would be DYFS, or the Division of Youth and Family Services; every state has such an agency.) However, continuing to contact your ex-wife, when she has demonstrated that she will not respond, is not likely to get you anywhere--and, at some point, could be considered harassment of her.

You should consult with a family law attorney to discuss your concerns and evaluate your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption