If I win my case for money owed to me, can I ask the judge to put a time period on the payment due?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I win my case for money owed to me, can I ask the judge to put a time period on the payment due?

I borrowed my ex-boyfriend money 9 months ago and I have been trying to resolve it between us but he is non-responsive. The amount he owes me is $500. I know that he is going to be filing bankruptcy and I’m worried instead of paying me (if I were to win), that he will write the money he owes me off in his bankruptcy.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you win a lawsuit against your ex-boyfriend for the $500 owed, you can ask the court for a time period for reimbursement, but the court cannot order what you want. If you get a judgment against your former boyfriend and are worried about a bankruptcy filing by him, you need to immediately record an abstract of judgment in your county recorder's office regarding it.

The reason is that by doing so, you will be placed as a higher type of a creditor that someone who does not have a judgment against him and who does not have a recorded judgment.

The other option is to try and work on a payment plan with your former boyfriend and hope he does not file for bankruptcy protection any time soon.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption