If I were to dispute a charge on my credit report, will the company have to provide proof they sent me a bill?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I were to dispute a charge on my credit report, will the company have to provide proof they sent me a bill?

I moved out of my old apartment knowing I owed money. They would call for a payment but never provide a statement of how much I owe, so I wasn’t going to pay until I received one. I asked numerous times. They sent it to collections. I’m still not sure the amount is accurate and have no proof I even owe it. Can I dispute this? What can I do?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Mississippi


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The problem with disputing your credit report concerning an old bill is that the credit reporting agency is really under no legal obligation to change what is stated. I suggest that you consult with one of those credit repair companies on the market to see what it can do for you about your situation.

The best way to resolve the situation is simply to call up the creditor to see what is owed and simply pay off the bill and get a written release. When done, send copies of the pay off documentation to the third party credit reporting company and hope that your credit report gets a better rating as the result.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption