If I were to be evicted, would my landlord have any entitlement to my income?

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I were to be evicted, would my landlord have any entitlement to my income?

Asked on November 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord would have to go to court (in addition to the separate eviction proceeding) and show that they are still owed money from you. If they successfully make their claim, then the court will issue a judgement against you. On the basis of the judgment your landlord (now a creditor) would be able to proceed against your assets. And your income is an asset. They could have a portion of your wages garnished (as set forth by state law). Additionally, they could attach your bank accounts and other personal  (non-exempt) property to satisfy the judgment.

Note: Many judgments are good for 10 years or more and many can be renewed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption