If I plead guilty and pay a fine do I still get charged or are the charges dropped once the fine is paid?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I plead guilty and pay a fine do I still get charged or are the charges dropped once the fine is paid?

I recently purchased a vehicle from a dealership. They needed a $1,000 as a downpayment but I did not have it at the time. I was waiting on my BAS and BAH to start for the military before I could pay it. They said it was fine that I could write a check and they would work with me and cash it when I had the money in my account. Then I received a letter in the mail saying the check bounced. So at that time my husband went to get a money order and mail off the payment. Apparently they never received the payment because I got served with a “Summons Misdemeanor Worthless Check.”

Asked on January 27, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


Philip Petersen / The Law Offices of Philip Petersen

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking to the limited facts presented:

First, you should hire a competent attorney licensed to practice in your area, and fully discuss the details of your case with that attorney.

Generally, when you first appear at a misdemeanor worthless check docket hearing, the prosecutor will discuss options with you.  Sometimes, if you have the full amount of the check with you and are able to pay it that day, they may agree to dismiss the charge.  They may not agree to such.  If you have a "plea deal", generally the Judge will accept it.

If you plead "guilty", the charge is not dropped, as you have plead guilty to the charge, unless your jurisdiction has some form of program that requires you to first plea guilty and withholds adjudication until it is determined that you either did what you were required to do under the program or failed to do so.

Again, you should fully discuss this with a competent, licensed attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption