If i was terminated from my job, will it affect me getting my citizenship in 5 years

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If i was terminated from my job, will it affect me getting my citizenship in 5 years

I was terminated from my job when i was told i wasn’t gonna be terminated, they
lied to me. they hated my friend and my friend told on me when he got in trouble
and i got in trouble with him. I refused to sign my termination paper. WILL this
termination affect my citizenship in a couple of years when i apply? I already have
my green card soI just want to be sure that it won’t affect my citizenship.

Asked on November 23, 2016 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, your application for naturalization to US citizenship will not be dependent on whether or not you have a job so you will be able to apply when the time comes regardless of whether or not you are employed.  As far as discrimination lawsuits, that is not part of immigration so you'd need to consult with an attorney who deals with those matters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption