If I was raped over 20 years ago can the person still be prosecuted

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was raped over 20 years ago can the person still be prosecuted

I was taking advantage of at 11 and then
again at the age of 14 by two different
men it’s been bothering me all my life
and I’m about to be 30. I’m now
understanding that I am traumatized by
this sometimes I feel like I don’t even
want to live I feel so nasty and feel so
used. Wondering if anything can be done
about this.

Asked on March 24, 2018 under Personal Injury, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You are a very, very brave person to be coming forward with all of this. While the feelings ou have are totally normal given the circumstances, they are NOT becuase of anything that you did.  I need you to go and get a civil attorney asap for the rape at 29 becuase that is your best bet for a civil law suit.  And then I need you to go to a rape crisis center or any center for women's rights to get some counseling.  The criminal prosecution part is still within the statute of limitations for the rape at 29 so have your civil attorney push the prosecutors. They still have time to prosecute that case as well.  You need to make some noise.  You have it in you I know you do because you had the strength to write this question here.  Take care of yourself - that is primary.  Good luck to you.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption