If I was out on workman’s comp for almost 2 years,canmy pay rate be changed upon my return?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was out on workman’s comp for almost 2 years,canmy pay rate be changed upon my return?

Before I got hurt, they were paying me $650 salary but when I go back to work this past week, they said that they now want to pay me hourly. Can they legally, do that? I started work with a written agreement of salary.

Asked on February 16, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) Worker's compensation does not guaranty that there will be no changes in your job or pay.
2) Employers may change how you are paid (e.g. salary to hourly) and how much at will, unless you have a written employment contract for a defined or set period of time (e.g. a one-year, two-year, etc. contract) which is still in effect (unexpired) and which, by its plain terms, locks in your pay; in that case, and only that case, they cannot change your pay until the expiration or termination of the contract. 
It therefore appears that, barring a contract as defined above, they can do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption