If I was injured in an accident at a place of business, are they obligated to tell me information on their insurance carrier?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was injured in an accident at a place of business, are they obligated to tell me information on their insurance carrier?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Personal Injury, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The business does not have to provide the insurance information even though it is in their interest to provide it.  If they don't provide the insurance information, your recourse is to proceed with the lawsuit. Your lawsuit would be for negligence. 

You will need to file your lawsuit for negligence against the business prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

If the business is refusing to provide insurance information, it is possible that they might not have insurance.  If they don't have insurance, this could be a problem if you incur substantial medical bills.  If insurance is verified or if you decide to proceed with medical treatment without verifiying the business has insurance, when you complete your medical treatment and are released by the doctor or are declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary which means you have reached a point where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain your medical bills, medical reports and documentation of any wage loss.  Your personal injury claim will consist of these items.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  The damages (amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) should include compensation for the medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering and compensation for wage loss.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption