If I was hit by an uninsured driver, what are my rights?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was hit by an uninsured driver, what are my rights?

The guy said that he would pay for my damages but he is now avoiding my calls and texts. What can I do? The repair estimate is $1,300.

Asked on June 11, 2017 under Accident Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the accident is for property damage only, assuming that you are the registered owner of the car, you should file a claim with your insurer under your uninsured motorist coverage. It will then subrogate the claim and pursue their remedy against the at-fault driver. In the event that you are also uninsured or have insurance but no uninsured motorist coverage, then you can sue the at-fault party. Since the damages are only $1,300, you could bring suit in small claims court. If you prevail, you can recover your damages (repair costs for the vehicle) and court costs (court filing fee, expense of the process server, etc.). Your court judgment against the at-fault party can be enforced with a lien against their property (if the have any) or a wage garnishment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption