If I was denied a court appointed attorney at my arraignment, can I still request one at my first pre-trial conference?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was denied a court appointed attorney at my arraignment, can I still request one at my first pre-trial conference?

I was charged with dealing in meth, possession of paraphernalia and maintaining common nuisance

for a open container. I lost my job because of the arrest so I can’t afford a lawyer now.

Asked on September 7, 2019 under Criminal Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are allowed to renew your request for a court-appointed attorney and if circumstances changed since the first denial (e.g. you had your job at the arraignment, but lost it after that), you may qualify for one. However, if your employment and financial circumstances are the same at they had been when first denied, it is very unlikely that the court will change its mind and appoint a lawyer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption